Saturday, March 14, 2020

This was God's Plan All Along! And It's Exciting!

Okay, so I'm super stoked to share this with you. I want everyone to hear about it! What better way to do that than to post it on the Internet?

I want to document this event as a wonderful day in history. Yesterday, on March 13, 2020, all of America, it seemed, decided to shut down. First one school system closed, then another. Then sports events followed. Movie productions were delayed, concerts were canceled, and many other plans were put on hold. Finally, churches, too, decided to protect their flocks by shutting down their buildings.

Now, many people's reactions, including my own, were predictable: It felt like our entire culture--our entire faith, even--had the ground ripped out from under it. Surprise, uncertainty, and fear were all present, and understandably so.
God's reaction however, was anything but what I expected. When the churches closed their doors, he said "FINALLY!"

Let me explain: He isn't displeased by our fellowship. Far from it. He simply wants to spread it around! Because when the Church leaves the building, big things happen. 

Just think about what happened in Jerusalem when Steven was stoned: in Acts 8, the early Church scattered, and everywhere they went, they preached the Gospel. That's how Samaritans were first brought into the family. And Ethiopians. And Romans (Acts 10). It also led to Saul of Tarsus following the disciples to another town, where on the road he had an encounter with Jesus that changed not only his life, but the course of history (Acts 9). Finally, in Acts 11, this scattering of the Church led to the foundation of the church in Antioch, where followers of the Way were first called Christians, and from which, in Acts 13, Paul and Barnabas were launched on their missionary journeys throughout Asia Minor and Europe. That event was a turning point in our faith, and I believe that this is too. Why? Because God told me it would happen. Months ago.

You see, at the end of last year, I was going through a really hard season. I was warring with anxiety, and losing. So at the end of December, when God asked me what I wanted from him for Christmas, I asked for clarity. I figured that if I knew why I was on this road, it would be easier to have faith through the process. Well, he answered that prayer. He told me that he was putting me through a fire to purify me and to prepare me for what lay ahead. Then, on January 1, 2020, he also told me what he was about to do. Fortunately, I write down our conversations in my journal, so you can now hear everything just as I heard it:


"January 1, 2020. Wednesday
Me: Dear Heavenly Father, I can't believe the things you've done in the last week, let alone the last year. What do you want to do in 2020?

God: What do you see?

Me: I'm standing in a land of darkness, and there's high stone towers on either side, with a stone wall in front of me blocking my view. I think it's a prison yard.

God: That's your perspective. Now see it from mine.

Me (after my viewpoint switches): Well, looking at the structure from above, it doesn't seem so big anymore. And there's a flood of shining, silvery water approaching. It's a mass so huge, it dominates the prison yard and fills the valley in which it sits.

God: That's right. And what do you think will happen when the water--the mighty flood--reaches the prison?

Me: I think it will break it apart, with everything and everyone inside being swept away in the water. Then the whole valley will be filled up. And who knows? Maybe the flood will keep on going. The supply is limitless.

God (notice, he specifies that he's referring to Christians here): That's right. You see, my people have built for themselves these high stone walls in an attempt to contain me and make me something of their choosing. They want to control me. But the only ones being contained are the people themselves. These walls have shut them in, so they can't even see any longer the valley they are supposed to reach--the world in which I have placed them. They've shut themselves into their own little world. But my Spirit is going to come in like a flood! 
So when you feel the ground shaking beneath your feet, and the structure around you crumbling, know that that is me making a way for myself to come in. My people will be swept up in a wave that they can't contain or control. 
Now, be watching for it. The shaking will come first, and those who trust in their walls to preserve the little world they've built for themselves may not remember to place their trust in the Creator of the flood. They'll be forced to choose: Me or the world. As the two move in opposite directions, they will no longer be able to have both. Their faith and loyalty is about to be tested, for the world cannot tolerate forever those who belong to me.
This is where each person gets marked: Either they will place my name on their thoughts and actions, or they will mark themselves with the name and number of my Enemy. But whichever they choose, my flood is coming.
This flood does not contain my wrath; that will be the fire that follows. No, my flood is a wave of cleansing and power. It will wash away all the dirt and muck that my children have been playing with, and will carry them to the ends of the earth where they belong.

Me (this is a question we could all be asking now): So what's my role?

God: Continue as you are. Keep your footing on the true foundation while you anticipate the flood and the fire. And teach those I have given you to do the same.

Me: This was incredible! Teach your people to trust that you're in control. Help us see just how big you are. And I invite you to both invade and destroy this little world of compromise that we've indulged ourselves with. Do as you have said. Engage your people in the mission you've given them. And please start here. Start in my city. But don't just use me and my church. Unite and use all the churches here. May you break through, cleanse your people, empower them, and sweep them up and carry them to the ends of the earth. 
I love you, and I praise you for the things you've done, the things you are doing, and the things you've promised to do. Boil our hearts in your furnace so that we will burn with unquenchable passion. And yes, I know what I'm asking for--I know what it will take to set the American Church apart from the world. But do it. Don't just give yourself some elbow room so you can move and work a little more. Give yourself all the room you need to initiate and create real change. And I pray that your people would respond to you."

From this journal entry, I draw two conclusions:
First, God's work is only just beginning. He is answering our prayers to move in our country and in our world. Why should we be surprised?
Second, we as a Church have work to do.

As this whole situation with COVID-19 has been playing out, God reminded me of another conversation we had a few months ago. I was walking my dog, so I didn't write that one down. But basically, I was walking at sunset, and as I looked up, I saw the first couple stars coming out in the sky above me. I could hardly see them, because the sky was still lit by the sun. But as it got darker, I knew that the stars would become more and more visible. God reminded me in that moment that the stars are always there. We just can't see them while the world is lit by the sun. It's when the sky gets dark that the stars become more visible.
We as Christians are like the stars. We've been here all this time, but so far we've blended with the rest of the world. But as the world gets darker, us stars will become more visible against the darkness. So let's shine!

"Dear friends, you always followed my instructions when I was with you. And now that I am away, it is even more important. Work hard to show the results of your salvation, obeying God with deep reverence and fear. For God is working in you, giving you the desire and the power to do what pleases him. Do everything without complaining and arguing, so that no one can criticize you. Live clean, innocent lives as children of God, shining like bright lights in a world full of crooked and perverse people. "
Philippians 2:12-15

"You are the light of the world—like a city on a hilltop that cannot be hidden. No one lights a lamp and then puts it under a basket. Instead, a lamp is placed on a stand, where it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your good deeds shine out for all to see, so that everyone will praise your heavenly Father."
Matthew 5:14-16

Our foundation is unshakable. Our faith is not contained in a building anymore than our God is. He has established his presence in each of our hearts so that we can bring him to the world! So this circumstance isn't a disaster that robs us of our power. No, my friend. This is God's plan for our Church, for our country, and for our planet. And he will see his will accomplished.

So how will you respond? 
As for me, I choose to respond as Isaiah did when he was standing in the presence of our Almighty God:
"'Then I heard the Lord asking,
“Whom should I send as a messenger to this people? Who will go for us?”
I said, “Here I am. Send me.”'
Isaiah 6:8


No comments:

Post a Comment