Wednesday, December 21, 2022

Be Ready

For those who don't know, I'm currently 34 weeks pregnant. I'm reaching the stage where I need to write a birth plan and pack a hospital bag, set up the car seat, and assemble the crib. This is because my baby could arrive at any time, and I don't know when he'll make his appearance.

Before bed one night this week, I was overcome by a sense of urgency. I was convinced that my hospital bag needed to be packed right now. As in, do not wait until morning. This sensation was probably part of the "nesting" instinct. But while I was packing a spare set of PJ's into my suitcase at 10:30 at night, I was struck by the sad realization that my sense of anticipation for this baby should be matched by my anticipation for Jesus' second coming. As I was packing, a verse from the Bible kept repeating in my head: "Be ready in season and out of season" (2 Timothy‬ ‭4‬:‭2 ESV‬). I realized the fact that it's most likely that my baby will wait a while longer, but that wasn't stopping me from preparing for an early arrival anyway. Whereas, Jesus could come back literally any moment, but I've let my heart believe that he'll wait a while longer, and I've let that be an excuse to let go of my sense of urgency and anticipation.

As this failing has been revealed to me, I've also been shown a few areas in my pattern of behavior that reflect my new attitude of anti-anticipation:
1. I put things off. For example, if it's put on my heart to check in with someone, I wait until morning. Or if there's someone at church who I need to greet or engage with and encourage, but others are grappling for my attention, I let myself say, "I'll talk to that person next week". But the truth is, God has a time for everything. And when he prompts me to do a good thing, the time for it is now. Not the next day, and not the next week. We never have a guarantee for a next day or a next week, and I've not been acting like that.
2. I will occasionally skip my God time for the day because I don't anticipate needing him. What I mean is, my schedule is clear, and I'm not going to be interacting with more people than I can handle, so I let myself off the hook for subjecting my day to his will. However, God is teaching me that this attitude is like the five foolish virgins in Matthew 25 who did not equip themselves with extra oil for their lamps. In the end, they ran out of oil right when they needed it most. I'm not saying that I'm going to be kicked out of the Kingdom of God for skipping my Bible time. The danger in this situation is the attitude that I know what's best, and that I only need to turn to the Holy Spirit for grace when I'm facing something more challenging than I think I can handle. But the truth is, I don't know what each day holds. I have no real idea what challenges are waiting for me.

The truth is, the Bible has warning after warning about complacency. The parable of the Ten Virgins is one example. Others include:
“Watch and pray that you may not enter into temptation. The spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak.”‭‭ Matthew‬ ‭26‬:‭41‬ ESV
“Therefore you also must be ready, for the Son of Man is coming at an hour you do not expect.” Matthew‬ ‭24‬:‭44‬ ESV
“Watch out! Don’t let your hearts be dulled by carousing and drunkenness, and by the worries of this life. Don’t let that day catch you unaware, like a trap. For that day will come upon everyone living on the earth. Keep alert at all times. And pray that you might be strong enough to escape these coming horrors and stand before the Son of Man.” Luke‬ ‭21‬:‭34‬-‭36‬ ‭NLT‬‬
“The end of all things is at hand; therefore be self-controlled and sober-minded for the sake of your prayers. Above all, keep loving one another earnestly, since love covers a multitude of sins. Show hospitality to one another without grumbling. As each has received a gift, use it to serve one another, as good stewards of God’s varied grace: whoever speaks, as one who speaks oracles of God; whoever serves, as one who serves by the strength that God supplies—in order that in everything God may be glorified through Jesus Christ. To him belong glory and dominion forever and ever. Amen.” 1 Peter‬ ‭4‬:‭7‬-‭11‬ ‭ESV‬‬

In view of these warnings, and the dozens more like them, I am repenting of my own complacency. I pray to have my sense of urgency renewed, so that when Jesus arrives--with justice in hand--I may be found ready to face him, having accomplished all he has given me to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment